Thursday 16 February 2012

Revised constitution

Mr. President Bashar al-Assad issued Decree No. 85 of 2012, identifying Sunday, 26/02/2012 as the date for a referendum on the draft constitution of the Syrian Arab Republic.

I will not lie; I have read the draft circulating on the internet. I read it and was surprised to what little changes been made, and how some outdated/racist articles did not get scratched out.

Anyhow I am not here to discuss or depict the new draft constitution, as I am not a lawyer, human right activist, nor a politician. However; I was curious to know if polling/voting station will be opened abroad for Syrian communities around the world to participate in this ‘democratic process’. SO I called our embassy in Ottawa. A nice polite lady named Amira answered. I told her the purpose of my call, so she responds by questioning me about my family name, phone number and where I am calling from rather than answer my concern. After a series of questions, she replies with: “I do not know we have not received any directives in this regards” when I asked her about the date of the referendum she said the 28th of the month and she volunteered to call me once she gets further information.

I will keep you posted ....if she calls me back (and yes I gave her my real name and phone number)

No comments: